Even in the most remote parts of the world, there is still some access to the Internet. Everywhere you look, you’ll see people using smartphones to access the Internet and social media.
The opportunity to build or grow an organization using the power and reach of the Internet is exciting. Billions of users log on every day and you have the chance to reach the fraction that’s interested in the value you offer.
The key is understanding how to pique their interest.
Hype is not how you build a loyal and engaged following online. Here are three secrets to building in a way that separates you from companies that make promises but don’t deliver.
1. Always represent your company.
People can tell the real thing when they see it. In fact, since so many companies put on a front, your organization stands out when you are authentic. Being an authentic means a few things:
• Always tell the truth. Even if it makes you look bad, be transparent. People connect with you when they feel like they see the full picture.
• Don’t put yourself on a pedestal. Yes, you have accolades but cramming them down your audience’s throat doesn’t build a connection. You have to balance.
• Have an about page on your website that’s a little more personal.
• Answer email and social media messages when as your team has time.
Acknowledge what you don’t know. There are always ways to improve. If you don’t know something, be transparent.
2. Deliver valuable content that addresses your customers pain points.
There’s a wealth of content online—some good and some complete garbage. The way consumers connect with your business is through the value you deliver. Your following will grow if your content is practical and actionable.
It takes time to create good content. It takes research and a commitment not to lower your standards. There are many good examples of consistently delivering excellent content.
Stand out by going over-the-top for your audience. They will notice and you will stand out.
3. See more than the earning potential.
The goal is to generate revenue but that shouldn’t come at the expense of how you make your audience feel. People can tell when you view them like a number. It repels them.
The companies that build a raving audience online do it by making a connection that goes beyond money.
Treat everyone you encounter with respect. When you build a loyal and engaged following online, they will tell others and your reach will grow. This gives you the opportunity to make a greater impact.
Stand out. Don’t follow another company’s blueprint just because they’re successful. Avoid the hype and spammy tactics. Those companies don’t last in the long run. Build your following by delivering value that helps solve your audience’s biggest struggles.